Penguin Robot (Black)
Category: Kits-Robotics (No Book)
Penguin Robot (Black)
Sale Price: $199.95
Weight: 0.348 lb.
Be the first to have a Parallax Penguin! Available in RED, BLUE, NICKEL or BLACK.
The Penguin robot is a precision-machined 4" tall biped with an
embedded BASIC Stamp 2px24 microcontroller. Similar to his larger
cousin the Toddler, the Penguin walks forward with a tilt-stride action
and turns by sweeping both feet on the ground in opposite directions.
This basic biped design works best in the Penguin's small scale. The
Penguin's parts have a close-tolerance fit and are designed to make use
of precise electronic control. Set aside three hours to assemble a
Writing code for the Penguin is quite easy. First, the servo center and
tilt/stride limits are set and written to EEPROM using the
Penguin-ServoCalibration.bpx program. Subsequent programs use the
values stored in EEPROM, making it easy to share Penguin code without
having to adjust servo PULSOUT constants in each program.
Sensors are added into the subroutines, and a direction of travel is
executed by assigning a value to the WALK variable (forward, back, left
or right). Sensors are monitored between walking movements, without the
headache of linking walking movements being handled by the rest of the
The Penguin robot performs best on your desk or
other hard surfaces. It is not designed for long-distance adventuring
across thick carpet, but a tight, low-pile carpet is an acceptable
walking surface. The Penguin's electronics are fully assembled and
wired to an assortment of sensors and output devices.
Download the Penguin's documentation to learn more about this robot kit.
- BS2px24 module chipset
- CNC-machined 6061 aluminum parts available in black, red, blue or nickel
- Hitachi HM55B Digital Compass sensor
- (2) photoresistors for light following/avoidance
- (2) infrared emitters and an infrared receiver for object detection or remote control using the Parallax infrared remote control
- Blue seven-segment LED for feedback
- (2) micro servos for tilt and stride
- Piezospeaker in body underneath battery pack
- Expansion port for the Ping))) Ultrasonic Sensor, Parallax RF Modules or other input/output components
- Power switch located adjacent to battery pack
- FTDI 232RL mini USB programming port
- (2) CR123 batteries for 6V power supply (included)
- Blue power indicator LED
Penguin Article in Servo Magazine
Dancing Penguin Video